1. What is the normal core body temperature in humans?
37 degrees celsius
2. How does sweat cool us down?
As sweat evaporates, it removes heat from the skin, therefore colling us down
3. What is the function of receptors on the skin?
They detect a stimulus, this could be a change in temperature or sensation, then they convert this into an impulse, which is eventually sent back to the brain.
4. What is vasodilation?
The widening of the blood vessels which brings more blood to the surface of the skin and therefore cools us down
5. What is vasoconstriction?
The narrowing of the blood vessels which takes blood away from the surface of the skin which therefore keeps us warmer
6. True or false? Insulin travels around the body in the bloodstream
7. True or false? Vasodilation occurs when the body is too warm
8. Where in the body is the thermoregulatory centre located?
It is located in the brain
9. What type of feedback is involved in thermoregulation?
10. Briefly define homeostasis
Homeostasis is the maintenance of a constant internal environment