1. What happens if you hold the north poles of two different magnets close to each other?
They will repel each other
2. What happens if you hold a south pole and a north pole of two different magnets close to each other?
They will attract to each other
3. What is the cause of the earth magnetic field?
A - The movement of liquid iron in the Earth’s outer core.
4. State two magnetic materials.
Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, Aluminium, Neodymium, Magnetite
5. Why is iron a suitable material for the core of a transformer?
It is easily magnetised
6. What is a solenoid?
A cylindrical coil of wire that acts as a magnet when an electric current is passed through it
7. Give one example of a use for an electromagnet.
They are used in hard drives, motors and speakers. Many more
8. Give one example of a use for a permanent magnet.
Fridge magnets, screwdrivers, jewellery
9. Do the lines of a magnetic field travel from:
B - South to north
10. What is a tempory magnet?
A tempory magnet is a magnet that is only magnetic for a short period of time