Series & Parallel Answers
1. A resistor that can be changed without a change of temperature or light intensity is called what?
A variable resistor
2. Two bulbs are connected in a series circuit. One of the bulb breaks, what will happen to the other bulb?
The bulb would also blow
3. If the temperature of a thermistor is decreased, what will happen to the resistance of the thermistor?
It will decrease
4. What is the combined resistance of a 25 Ω and a 30 Ω resistor connected in series?
The resistance would be 55 Ω
5. What is the combined resistance of a 2 Ω and a 3 Ω resistor connected in series?
The resistance would be 5 Ω
6. What happens to the voltage in a parallel circuit?
A - It stays the same throughout
7. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?
Add all of the resistances across the circuit together to calculate the total resistance.
8. Two bulbs are connected in parallel and one of them blows, what will happen to the other bulb?
The bulb stays lit
9. When more lamps are connected in series, do they get:
A - Dimmer
10. How do you calculate the total resistance for components in a parallel circuit?
By using the formula 1/R total = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3