Static Electricity Answers
1. What is the charge of an electron?
2. What happens if two opposite charges come near each other?
They will attract to each other
3. What will happen if two like charges come near each other?
They will repel each other
4. What particles are transferred during friction?
B - Electron
5. When you rub a balloon on your hair/clothing you can make the balloon 'stick' to the wall, why is this?
Because the surface of the wall becomes positively charged by induction
6. If an object has a positive charge, then has it lost or gained electrons?
The object will have lost electrons because electrons are negative
7. If you have a build-up of charge on you, you might get an electric shock if you touch:
C - Metal door handle
8. Lightning is caused by a build-up of charge in the clouds when ice particles rub against each other, causing friction.
9. Bouncing on a trampoline can make your hair stand up on end because each stand of hair picks up the
A - Same charge that repels
10. If the arrows on a field diagram are far apart it means that:
A - The field is weak